When you think of a muffin, you think of a rich, moist mini-cake. When you think of a healthy, refined sugar free, microwaveable muffin, you think ew. Well not anymore! I am here to challenge your perception of healthy mug muffins by presenting you with this chocolate and banana gem.
In less than 5 minutes, you can have yourself a healthy and filling afternoon snack, guaranteed to cure those pesky chocolate cravings and keep you going for hours. Yes, not minutes, HOURS. In fact, this muffin is so healthy you could probably have it for breakfast. I know, it sounds naughty right? A muffin for breakfast?! But really, who hasn't wanted an excuse to have chocolate before lunch?
To ease the guilt that a breakfast muffin can create, rest assured there is a heap of good fibre and protein hidden in this super attractive cake, which alone makes it worth trying. You know, to keep you regular *wink wink*.
The base of this recipe, minus the chocolate chips, is sugar-free, but if you are a bit of a sweet tooth, you can add a teaspoon of raw sugar or maple syrup to satisfy that tooth of yours. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.
Recipe from here
Chocolate and Banana Muffin in a Mug (Low FODMAP & Gluten Free)
Makes 1 muffin
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 an overripe banana
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground linseed/flax seed
- 1 tbsp almond meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a ramekin or mug. Stir in the egg and add vanilla extract.
- Mash the banana into the egg and butter mix. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the mix and microwave on high for around 2 minutes until cooked.
- Let cool for around 30 seconds and tip onto plate.
DISCLAIMER: The heavenly scent of this muffin will attract human-like vultures. Consume quickly.