Rice is the king of the grains when it comes to expanding a meal. You can make a generous and filling meal for your family with enough leftovers for lunch the next day, on a dime. But let's be honest, rice can get a little dull. Veges on rice. Meat on rice. Plain, bland rice. Yurck.
Well, just call me the rice queen (crown and all) as I bring you a fresh and spicy twist on rice; my Moroccan-Style Quinoa and Brown Rice Risotto. This delicious dish is full of spice and flavour as well as the wholegrain properties of brown rice and the ancient-grain goodness that is quinoa. For under $20 you can feed a family of 4 and keep everyones bellies happy. Win!
Moroccan Quinoa and Brown Rice Risotto (Low FODMAP & Gluten Free)
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 50g butter
- garlic infused olive oil
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Massel 7's chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup grated edam cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan on medium high heat, add a drizzle of garlic infused oil, the zucchini and red pepper and heat until zucchini and pepper are tender.
- Rinse rice and quinoa and add to pan, mixing well to coat each grain with butter.
- Stir in tomatoes, water, stock cubes, bay leaves and spices. Bring mixture up to a boil, then turn down to simmer. Allow the risotto to simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and quinoa are cooked through. The rice should still be quite moist at this stage.
- Stir in grated edam and remove pan from heat. Serve immediately.