Ah, spag bol. The meal of the comfort food gods. I have had many happy memories of sitting at the dinner table at the end of a long day and chowing down on this beautifully meaty spaghetti dish. It nearly broke my heart when I thought I could never eat it again. The original recipe has a large amount of high FODMAP foods including onion, garlic, beef stock (which usually contains onions and garlic) and pasta. Practically torture for the IBS sufferer.
Well, the suffering is over! I have crafted a low FODMAP spag bol delight that will tickle the tastebuds and satisfy the tummy. Not only is this version low FODMAP and gluten free, it is also incredibly tasty and tastes no different to the original. Success!
Ready to go to low FODMAP comfort food heaven? Read on!
Spaghetti Bolognese (Low FODMAP & Gluten Free)
2 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic-infused olive oil
500g minced beef
410g can tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup water
1 Maggi Beef Stock Melt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
Gluten free pasta (enough for 4 people)
- Fill a large pot for the pasta with water and salt.
- Heat the oil in a separate large saucepan. Add mince to pan and stir constantly until browned.
- Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water, beef stock, sugar and herbs to mince mixture.
- When pasta water is boiling, add pasta to pan and cook for recommended amount of time until al dente.
- Bring mince mixture to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until mince is tender and mixture has thickened slightly. Serve over the hot pasta.