Summer's almost here! What better way to chill out on a lazy summer day than with a refreshing glass of lemonade. Bliss. Today, I bring you lemonade with a twist. A healthy, gut friendly twist.
Because this lemonade is special. It is a probiotic lemonade, made with whey from natural yoghurt. No whey, you say? Yes whey! But don't worry, it doesn't taste gross. The flavour comes from the beautiful sweet strawberries and the refreshingly tart lemons. The whey is just the subtle healthy base that helps bring the whole gorgeous concoction together.
This recipe is from Move Nourish Believe.
To make this drink you will need at least 5 days, as the live bacteria in the whey ferments the lemonade giving a fuller flavour. The process is time consuming but worth it! For the whey, you can use natural yoghurt, as the recipe states, or like me try kefir. The recipes also says to use rapadura sugar, but honey, if I can't say it, then I probably can't afford it! You can use any sugar you have on hand.
And a-whey we go!
How to make the whey
Before you can make the lemonade, you first need to separate the curds and whey from the yoghurt. This process takes around two days.
You will need:
- 500g of natural plain yoghurt
- Deep bowl
- Rubber band or string
- Place a layer of cheesecloth inside your colander and place the colander on top of a large bowl. Make sure you have enough space between the colander and the bowl for the fluid to collect without touching the cheesecloth.
- Pour yogurt into the cheesecloth and tie up tightly with a rubber band or string. Set aside in the fridge for 24 hours.
- After two days, the fresh whey will drain into your bowl, separate the fluid from the left over yogurt.
NOTE: Don't throw out the curds! You can use it like cream cheese and spread it on toast or crackers. There is no wastage in this recipe.
The whole set-up should look like this:
Putting the concoction together
Now that you've separated the curds from the whey, you're ready to put your beverage together!
1 punnet of fresh strawberries (stems removed)
2 cups of fresh lemon juice
1 cup of rapadura sugar (or any sugar of choice)
12 cups of filtered water
- Blend strawberries and whey in blender until smooth.
- Add in the rapadura sugar.
- In a large jug combine water and lemon juice together.
- Add the strawberry, sugar and whey mixture.
- Pour into jars or bottles and store at room temperature for 3-7 days. The lemonade with ferment over the next few days and will become effervescent after about a week - prime drinking time! Serve chilled.