It seems we have entered the era of salted caramel. There are salted caramel sauces, macarons, doughnuts, ice cream, it's freakin' everywhere! Well, since most of us low fodmappers are unable to sample the goodness that is the salted caramel doughnut, here is the next best thing: Salted Caramel Popcorn.
Prepare your tastebuds for the perfect ratio of sweet, salty and crunchy. This is the perfect treat to accompany a movie night with the girls (or boys, we're not biased) that will get your guests salivating to the point where you will need a mop. You think I'm kidding? Just try it.
One note: although this is a low FODMAP snack, it is also pretty high in sugar. Too much of this can irritate your bowel and possibly cause a little too much wind. I am speaking from experience here. So enjoy, but in moderation!
Recipe from here
Salted Caramel Microwave Popcorn
Makes 4-5 cups
4-5 cups of popped popcorn
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pop the popcorn in a large saucepan. Set aside to cool.
- Place the sugar, water, butter and salt into an, at least two cup capacity, heat resistant glass jug (this is important to keep an eye on the colour of the caramel)
- Microwave the mixture on high for 2 mins, then stir until all the sugar dissolves.
- Place back in the microwave and microwave on high, watching carefully, until the mixture turns a light brown (depending on the power of your microwave it can take between 3-5 mins). Be vigilant, it can burn very quickly after turning brown!
- Add the baking soda and quickly stir to mix well.
- Immediately pour the mixture over the popcorn and mix well with a large spoon to evenly coat the popcorn.
- Break the popcorn up into another bowl while still warm.